Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 2001 23:57:36 -0800
From:      Randy Primeaux <randy@Cloudfactory.ORG>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing onto vinum

Greg, Tony,
   Thank you for the technical assistance, and smoothing the bumps in
my learning curve.  I spend most of my day dealing with wan
networking, so learning vinum and RAID configuration is a significant
change of pace.

I got the final part operational, after this nudge from Greg.
I added the "drive root" association to each subdisk entry using
ed(1), [and setting vinum_start="YES" in rc.conf] and of course upon
reboot vinum came up fine.

Oh, I still have a copy of "The Complete FreeBSD", from 1996/07/19,
though I contributed the 2.2.x CD's to a mentor long ago.  I thought
it had outlived it's usefullness, but it has a longer shelf-life than
I expected.

Anyway, I have not yet set up the mirror, but I think the rest will go
fine.  I will admit that part of the reason I was having difficulties
is I had not read all of the man pages involved, and as well, I read
vinum(8) before vinum(4), which presented some difficulty, not having
certain terms defined.  "Drive" is a good example of this, with its'
very specific definition.

At this point I have a 4-STABLE system running vinum, but I'll
probably tear down and rebuild fresh, and bring up the mirror when
done.  Thanks again, to both of you, for very educational technical
discussion and guidance.

Greg Lehey writes:
> On Friday,  2 February 2001 at  0:23:59 -0800, Randy Primeaux wrote:
> > Greg, Tony,
> >
> > I got the following upon reconfiguration and reboot:
> >
> > Can't open /dev/vinum/var: Device not configured
> > /dev/vinum/var: CAN"T CHECK FILESYSTEM
> > /dev/vinum/var: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
>
> Looks like you haven't configured it yet.
>
> > When I boot -s, then operate vinum:
> > vinum resetconfig
>
> Why do you do this?

I wanted to ensure my config was "clean", and was not sure how else to
do so.

--
Randy Primeaux
randy@cloudfactory.org