Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 09:00:15 -0600
From:      Steve Gericke <steveg@comtrol.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        steveg@rocket.comtrol.com
Subject:   link layer ethernet access

I need to send Ethernet II packets over existing an Ethernet drivers.

I cannot use BPF.

My company has developed a product which supports serial ports over a LAN
connection and we would like to get a FreeBSD implementation done.

Other OS's NT, windows 95 SCO, Novell all have documented and working DATA
LINK interfaces.

In looking at 4.4BSD Operation System book it talks about a link layer
interface.
But in looking at FreeBSD existing ethernet drivers they use ether_input and
ether_output as
their interface to if_ethersubr.c.  Here the code looke for IP, IPX, etc.
for specific
interfaces to past control to.

Is there a generic path that I can use to maybe register a  pseudo driver
interface
so that I can have access the the top layer of an ethernet driver of my
choosing.

I need to send and receive Ethernet type II packets only.

If you have any suggestions or sample code I would enjoy hearing from you !!

Thanks in advance..

steveg@comtrol.com