Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 19:39:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Dan Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, arch@freebsd.org, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Subject:   Re: Getcontext resolution?

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, John Baldwin wrote:
> On 08-Jan-02 Dan Eischen wrote:
> > Doug Rabson wrote:

> >> I've been thinking about this and I think that possibly 'intptr_t' would
> >> be a better type for the arguments than 'uintptr_t' since that is a signed
> >> type.
> >
> > OK, will change it.  This is really only applicable to alpha and
> > other 64-bit archs, though.  I've left i386 as int's since we know
> > it's always going to be 32-bits, right?
>
> intptr_t is 32-bits on i386.  It's easier to just use the same type everywhere.
> Also, you could consider the new C99 type intmax_t.

intmax_t is 64 bits on i386 so it won't work.  I'm using intptr_t
for both i386 and alpha now.

Trying to use the correct type seems all well and good, but we
are still somewhat limited to how the registers are defined in
the machine context anyways (int for i386, and [unsigned] long
for alpha).

--
Dan Eischen