Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 2004 19:45:38 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resize /usr partition without resinstall

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 02:38 am, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> I've got an 80GB drive partitioned as follows:
>
> salamander# df -h
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a    496M     35M    421M     8%    /
> devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> /dev/ad0s1g     64G    262M     58G     0%    /home
> /dev/ad0s1d    496M     54K    456M     0%    /tmp
> /dev/ad0s1e    3.9G    3.0G    559M    85%    /usr
> /dev/ad0s1f    4.8G    114M    4.3G     2%    /var

This does not show how the drive or even the slice is partitioned
It only shows what is in the partitions.

How it is partitioned is shown by disklabel or bsdlabel.

> Is it possible to get more space for /usr by either allocating space
> from /home or by providing a symlink to a partition on home?

Worthwhile suggestions for re-configuring need disklabel output.
But you can easily move some parts some parts (trees) of /usr elswhere
and symlink back to the normal position in /usr. In particular the
/usr/ports and /usr/src trees come to mind

Or of course you can rebuild any configuration you want in a virgin system
and then restore from your backup ;)

Malcolm