Date:      Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:44:19 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <erikt@update.uu.se>
To:        Andreas Davour <ante@Update.UU.SE>
Cc:        Mark Kane <mark@mkproductions.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound driver for Compaq Presario?

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 01:23:09AM +0100, Andreas Davour wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Mark Kane wrote:
>
> >You could try loading the "snd_driver" kernel module to try to have it
> >determine what card it is and load the proper driver. It may work and
> >would save the call/chat/email to support. :)
> >
> ># kldload snd_driver
> >
> >http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html
>
> I have told my wife many times how much useful information there is in
> the handbook, but I seems to have a hard time finding information
> therein myself lately...
>
> Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately it didn't give much more
> information. I had tried to load snd_driver before based on some vague
> recollection of it being a good idea.
>
> Having loaded that module, and everything it pulls in, nothing new at
> all shows up on the console, in dmesg or in the /dev/sndstat file!
>
> The computer behaves as if there is no card there! If I didn't remember
> hearing the Windows XP jolly sound when starting the computer I would be
> tempted to think it broken.
>
> The only remaining information I have is that pciconf tells me there is
> a device multimedia/sound from "ATI Technologies" as device 20.5 in its
> output. :(

What is the *complete* output of 'pciconf -lv' ?  Not just the lines you
think are relevant, but all of them.

> Maybe FreeBSD just lacks support for the built in devices on this
> laptop. I would hate to have to tell my wife that she has to use Windows
> XP after all...

That is of course a possibility.  Another possibility is that you just need
to try a newer version of FreeBSD.
I think support for audio on some ATI chipsets were added to RELENG_6 just a
few weeks ago (and is thus not in any -RELEASE yet.)

If you have the 'snd_atiixp' driver on your system I would try it.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson