Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:45:08 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>, Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Making a DOS Partition writeable

Doug White wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Snob Art Genre wrote:
>
> > > Please, anyone correct me, but mounting a DOS-FS could -- under certain
> > > circumstances -- corrupt the BSD-FS !?!?
> > >

> > Shortly after I installed FreeBSD, I was running two finds on different
> > virtual consoles, with /msdos mounted, and my machine crashed hard.  When
> > it came back up, my entire FreeBSD installation was hosed.  I can't say it
> > was definitely due to msdosfs, but I suspect it.
>
> The primary problem comes when you FIPS a partition and cause the cluster
> size to change.  FreeBSD assumes a perfect world while FIPS cheats -- it
> SHOULD rewrite all those sectors back down to the smaller clustersize but
> that takes a while (I had a program that actually did it right!) esp. on
> big disks.

There is a commercial DOS software package called PartitionMagic (see
http://www.powerquest.com) that costs about $50 and can edit partitions
without reformatting (it can shrink/expand DOS and HPFS partition and
move around many other types of partitions, though not FreeBSD yet -
maybe someone shoul talk to them as they support linux and SCO
partiotions). I never had a problem with it, and it is highly
recommended if you find yourself repartitioning disks often (once a year
is often enough for me).

It sure beats backing up, formatting and restoring!

Nadav