Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:28:04 +0000
From:      Z Thompson <cublai@earthlink.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp -auto

I set up ppp -auto according to the "Pedantic PPP Primer" and it seems to
be working fine.  I have a couple of questions though about running it.

First,  in ppp.conf.sample there is mention of both "allow user x" and "allow
users".  I'm not sure if I understand the difference between the two.  It says
you should put "allow user x" in your default section which  will allow that
user to use ppp.  Now, am I  correct in assuming that even this line still
doesn't allow the user to execute "ppp -auto demand" to start the auto daemon?
Will I always need to su and run this command after, say, a  reboot to start
ppp in auto mode?

Second, how can you check the connection speed in auto mode?  In fact, how can
you check if you're actually connected?  I understand that you could fire up a
browser, ping something, etc., but this would connect if you weren't already. I
have two machines each with a modem on the same line so I'm just wondering
how I can make sure one machine isn't connected if I want to connect on the
other. (Look at the lights dummy!)

Lastly, can you disconnect without killing the ppp -auto process or by simply
letting the connection timout?

Thanks,
Zach Thompson