Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 01:30:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using Tripwire

I am finally getting around to configuring tripwire since we plan on
exposing more of our mailserver to the Big, Bad Internet.

I had installed tripwire, but never really got into configuring it. I
have been looking at the manpages and the default/example tw.config
that the port includes. There are a few things that I have not been
able to figure out how to do (if they can be done).

Is there a way to look a certain _depth_ into a directory tree? For
example, I want to do something like this,

/home		R
=/home/user1	+pigun
=/home/user2	+pigun
.
.
.

That is, in the /home filesystem, I want to watch for new things
appearing/disapprearing at the 'user level' and make sure that
individual user's home dirs do not get permissions or ownership
changed. Is there a way within tripwire to generate the /home/user1,
/home/user2, etc. listing without doing it myself and so it can be
made to self-update properly?

Finally, I am having trouble tracking down more complete tripwire
documentation. A quick web search fills up with info on the commercial
2.x versions. Hard to tell what is "new and improved" and what applies
to the old freeware version in those. Can anyone point me in the right
direction for tripewire version 1.2 docs beyond the manpages?

Oh, and as for the manpages, tw.config(5) references a twconvert(8)
page which does not exist on my system or in the tripwire package
contents. And the siggen(8) manpage (which has headers saying
"SIGFETCH(8)") is not referenced by tripwire(8); I only found it
looking for twconvert(8) in the package list. Would that be a ports
PR? Or is this not gonna get fixed?

Wait, one other thing I just remembered, I guess if you are running
tripwire, the portion of the default security check that searches for
changed set[ug]id files is redundant (depending on your tripwire
config, other checks may be redundant too). Anyone have a modified
script to offer up? Is that a good place to run tripwire from?