Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:12:37 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.freebsd.org>
Cc:        steveo@iol.ie, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, plm@xs4all.nl
Subject:   Re: recent apm changes

> APM Spec. v1.2 Appendix D - APM Driver Considerations -----

FWIW, the wording here is almost the same as the previous
specifications.

> When an APM connection exists, the APM BIOS transitions into System
> Standby and System Suspend states only when directed to do so by a
> call from the APM Driver. The calls to change system states are
> invoked by the APM Driver only after the APM BIOS indicates that the
> state transition should be made, and the APM Driver has checked with
> all APM-aware applications to make sure that it is an appropriate time
> to change system states. However, there are three cases where the APM
> BIOS may make the system state transition itself. The first case is if
> the APM Driver does not pick up a posted Standby Request, Suspend
> Request or Critical Suspend Notification event within the 2 second
>                                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> (one second plus one second grace period) time limit. The second is
> when the APM Driver, after picking up the event, does not respond to a
> Standby Request, Suspend Request or Critical Suspend Notification
> event with an appropriate Set Power State call within 5 seconds of
>                                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> receiving the event.

We should have no problems responding in this amount of time in FreeBSD,
since we don't (didn't used to?) have any code that should cause
significant delay in responding.

> The last situation is when the APM Driver has
> responded to an event with a Request Processing Set Power call and
> does not reply again within another 5 seconds.The CPU is power managed
> according to CPU Idle and CPU Busy calls made by the APM Driver to the
> APM BIOS.

I don't follow this.

> Last time, we didn't have `Last Request Processing Notification' to
> APM BIOS at all for the second case.

Huh?  I don't see any mention of 'last request processing notification'
anywhere above.  Also, I don't believe the APM driver responds with a
request processing call, since I don't see any reason to in FreeBSD,
especially with the number of buggy BIOS's out there.

Nate