Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 1997 11:48:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        "Ronald E. Eakins, Sr." <reakins@nms.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS "slow"

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Ronald E. Eakins, Sr. wrote:
> I have seen this problem under the following conditions:
>
> You have a Primary and a Secondary server and the clients point at
> the Secondary server first.  Since the secondary server has to obtain
> info from the primary, it goes to get the name from the primary, but

Not so.  Secondaries are just as authoritative as primaries.  The
only difference between the two is in how they load zone data.

> http://www.acmebw.com/askmr.htm

Well, he has it right.  See

	http://www.acmebw.com/askmrdns/general.htm#rtt-explanation

But you should really be using DNS and BIND as your info source.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com