Date:      Fri, 2 Dec 2005 22:27:51 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Cody Holland" <cholland@redmoonbroadband.com>, "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: BSD vs Linux Threads

It probably is because mysql is optimized for the Linux threading
implementation.
Also keep in mind that freebsd filesystems are mounted async by default,
not sync by default like Linux, as a result FreeBSD always does worse
in these stupid bakeoffs you read about in the trade rags.

You can install the linux threading package under FreeBSD's
linux emulation and try it that way.

Keep in mind also that you are talking minute performance differences on
the newest multi-gigahertz systems.  Furthermore I will point out that
unless your database is smaller than physical memory of the server,
then the argument between mysql threading and non-threading is a
completely moot issue since the hits to the disk will be the bottleneck.

There is a lot to optimizing databases.  I suggest you build you server
and if it's too slow, then post to the mysql forums, you will get a lot
of feedback as to how to optimize.

Ted