Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 19:10:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        alk@Think.COM, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ip masquerading

   From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
   Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 15:45:51 -0700 (MST)

   This is one of the *big* problems I see.  The recovery mechanism to get
   around this requires an intelligent client (ie: not Windows 95) and
   the ability to recover state (ie: the client knows the state, too
   (ie: not Linux-style "masqueraing").

Couldn't state be inferred from the retry packets?

   The packet rewriting is a bit annoying; on the other hand, there are
   a finite number of protocols that really need to be supported this
   way, so it's bad, but it's not as bad as it could be.

It would be nice to pull out the rewriting stuff into loadable
rule sets.

   Socks really wants two additional tunnel-to-socks and socks-to-tunnel
   daemons written; using two private nets, this would let you run a
   private net of socks-unaware hosts that get their packets proxied
   by setting up a default route, a private net route to one tunnel on
   one private net, and a default route to the other tunnel on the
   private net with the dumb hosts.  Effectively, a gateway LLB in user
   space.

I'm trying to picture this, but I'm crippled by lack of understanding
of the tunnel device.  There is a box, G.  It has a network interface,
I(G), on the Internet.  It has a network interface, P(G), on a private
net.  Hosts on network P route through P(G) to get out through I(G).
G is implementing masquerade, then.  I don't understand what you
are saying about the structure of the implementation.

   > 4.  It's not a general purpose solution (e.g. ICMP doesn't work...

   The is the second of the *big* problems.

I don't understand why it is a big problem.  It is a big problem if
you are trying to put the private machines on the Internet, but
I don't see that as being the goal.  The goal is to get TCP
applications (and secondarily UDP applications) to run transparently
from a private network home through an Internet gateway.  If the
gateway violates host requirements, *that* is a problem.