Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 17:27:18 -0000
From:      "Andrew Tulloch" <andrewt@great4.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SMP and MySQL/threads

I currently have two SMP PIII-800 machines with 1gig of ram running Redhat
that I've inherited the administration of, their main task is currently to
run MySQL. I've been wanting to move them over to FreeBSD to reduce
administrative overhead, however my current understanding is that threads
are implemented using the pthread library inside a single process that means
two threads cannot run on seperate CPUs at the same time, which is obviously
something I'd want on a machine most running MySQL. I'm farily certain I'd
have quite a lot of wasted CPU time with MySQL running on just one
processor. I've looked at the makefile of the port and that has the option
to compile the port with linuxthreads, however it warns it should not be
used for production and that I should expect problems. Has anyone tried this
or has any other recommendations?

Cheers
Andrew