Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:14:43 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        Igor Vieira Debacker <igor@viamax.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall

> Igor Vieira Debacker wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> I'm working on a company where a FREEBSD is installed. I'm not the guy
> wich
> installed it, and i'm not a great BSD user too. But today i tryed to
> install
> some Firewall Rulez... and when i tryed to do this:
>
> su-2.04# ipfw list
>
> I got the following answer:
>
> ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available

It's quite possible the kernel wasn't compiled with firewalling enabled.
First read up on the whole firewall setup thing:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/firewalls.html
There's a link in the section on configuring your kernel to the
"building a kernel" section of the handbook, so if you're not familiar
with that process you can read that as well.

Hope this helps,
Bill