Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 12:17:43 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC build broken

> > > I think most if not all the ethernet cards I or my customers
> > > have bought over the last year have sported mighty fine netboot
> > > capabilities.
> >
> > FWIW, few of the cards I've bought over the years sport netboot.  And,
> > netboot is an impossibility in 'embedded' systems that use things like
> > PCMCIA/CARDBUS, which are becoming common-place for embedded routers and
> > such.
>
> Argh!  More FUD!  Network booting is not an impossibility in an
> embedded product using PCCARD or CARDBUS.

Ok, please explain how I add a netboot prom to my 3C589 card?

> > Netboot (IMO) is an unacceptable solution to many folks.  It seems that
> > 'progress' in this case means removing alot of existing functionality
> > that is used by a number of folks.
> >
> > (CDROM root, BOOTP, etc...)
>
> More FUD!  CDROM root devices still work fine.

Then you do a very poor job of writing commit logs.

msmith      1999/11/01 15:51:01 PST

  Modified files:
    sys/kern             vfs_conf.c
  Log:
  This is a complete rewrite of vfs_conf.c, which changes the way the
root
  filesystem is discovered.
  In addition, support for CDROM root
  devices has been removed; it was a nasty hack and didn't work.

Note the last sentence.  Does that say that support for CDROM root
devices has been removed?  I thought it did.

> The automated search
> stuff was broken, and it's gone because it was in the way.  There will
> be a new automated search process that will work properly.

I thought the general idea was that *until* something better came along,
you left things the way they were (ie; not removing them).  That's
certainly the message that's been communicated in the past.

> BOOTP in
> the kernel will go _when_there_is_an_acceptable_alternative_.

You've already stated *THERE IS AN ACCEPTABLE ALTERNATIVE*, and it's
PXE.  (I can use all caps instead of underscores to make a point too :)

> Yes, progress means losing the crap.

One man's crap is another man's diamond...

> How much more like a shark would you look like if you didn't lose your
> baby teeth?

There ya go, Mike.  Let's degenerate this dicussion into name calling
and putdowns, cause that'll make you feel better, won't it?

Nate