Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 22:13:26 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au, dyson@iquest.net, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, julian@whistle.com
Subject:   Re: inode / exec_map interlock ? (follow up)

Ignoring all mention of ego and other personal disagreements, I offer my view.

Periodically I throw myself into the VM system, barely make it up to speed,
fix a bug or two (if I'm lucky), and then the pace of change puts me out of
the running again.

On Monday, 15th February 1999, "John S. Dyson" wrote:

>I don't agree that the code is easier to read.  Perhaps I know the
>structure of the code, and understand how the MACH VM system works.
>However, in order to understand code, I don't have to rewrite sections
>of it, changing things while recoding.

>Too much energy is being spent on an expensive "indent" process.

I find the code much easier to read now.  It takes me less time to do my
VM code catch-up sprint.  I think the expensive indent process is well
worth it, and applaud Matt's efforts.  In the long run, I think it will
be cheap, rather than expensive.

>Yep, but I don't want to see FreeBSD destroyed with hackery.

This is a danger, but with the code becoming easier to understand, I expect
that changes that are performance damaging will be repaired.  Some small
errors have already been reverted.  Others will need to be first recognised,
then deliberately repaired, as below:

In a separate message on Monday, 15th February 1999, "John S. Dyson" wrote:

>Are you blocking on excessively large numbers of output requests?  You
>know *exactly* the issue at hand, and it has to do with the backpressure
>needed to keep the pageout daemon from doing an evil nasty on all of the
>pages in the system.

The pagedaemon on a test machine of mine used to spend much time waiting on
"swpfre".  Now, under 4.0, the paging rate has shot up (about 2x as a guess)
and it is much less responsive.  Of course it has only 16Mb of ram, and I
thrash it.  But I favour John's view that the new swap pager has a deficiency
that must be rectified before it can be considered better (in all cases) than
the previous version.

Stephen.