Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:15:05 +1200
From:      Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
To:        Michael Schuh <michael.schuh@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

Michael Schuh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> yes random IO is more targetted to Databases.
> noop, i have the installation always made in the same way, and i have respected
> the different diskperformace in different disk-parts.....
> this was the reason for
>
> #cd /;
>
> at the beginning of my tests.
> In the first test i have me shooting self in my foot and i bites me in
> my ass :-)))

I was referring to the partitions and slices on the physical disk - each
operating system is installed in a different one of these, and so is in
a different physical part of the disk - hence you cannot reliably
compare IO rates between them (This very issue has been discussed before
I recall - try a Google search, as it is quite interesting).

> my suggestion going more in the direction...first solve all disk(ata) related
> performace issues, then test the mysql-performaces issues again to secure
> that you are not lying on an mixing of many problems.... :-)

While noone would complain about faster sequential IO, it is almost
certainly not the issue effecting database performance - for instance I
find Postgresql consistently faster on RELENG_5 (5.3 onwards) than on
RELENG_4 (using the pgbench program).

cheers

Mark