Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 17:40:58 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@physics.uvt.ro>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anyone running amavis and sendmail on 4.6-STABLE?

>I've been running amavis and sendmail for about two years now with
>good results on 4.1,2,3,4 and 5-RELEASE. I have not upgraded to 4.6 yet,
>but this should be a sendmail/amavis issue, not the OS.

>I'm using procmail for a local delivery agent and replacing the local
>mailer in sendmail with a call to scanmails in amavis. I'm not using
>amavis-perl. I'm using an old version because it looked to me like the
>newer version only supported procmail with qmail as an mta, from what I
>saw, so I stuck with the older version.

>I use Sophos antivirus as the scanning program. So far, I've only had one
>virus ever get through, and that was caught by my 2nd line of defense,
>which is the Anomy Sanitizer (Anomy needs procmail, hence my sticking
>with the old Amavis version that uses procmail with sendmail.

My first try was with the old amavis (I just simple did not check the
ports and went to www.amavis.org), but because of the luck in supporting
many virus scanners I removed it (I have a setup with f-prot
as a virus scanner). On the amavis project page they say the new amavis is
supporting also sendmail and I've seen they supply rpm for SuSE +
sendmail-8.11.6 So because of this I moved on but now I got problems.
My local mailer is mail.local and I like to keep it if possible.

Best regards,

Gheorghe ARDELEAN

West Univ. Of Timisoara
Dept. of Theoretical and Computational Physics
Email: ardelean@quasar.physics.uvt.ro