Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:04:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
Cc:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, josb@cncdsl.com, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DJBDNS vs. BIND

:It would be fairly trivial to monitor a configuration file with kevent,
:which would generate a notice whenever the file is changed/copied/renamed,
:etc.  I believe that John-Mark Gurney had patches somewhere to implement
:exactly this for inetd.
:
:The problem is that under our current model, the administrators do not
:expect writes to the file to take immediate effect, and this immediately
:breaks POLA.  So while it could be done, it may not be a good idea.  At
:the very least, I would argue that it should be hidden behind a flag option.
:--
:Jonathan

    I don't even think it's that useful.  Lets say you have a daemon (say,
    named) that requires several configuration files and you want to
    update all of them.  Now how do you do it?

    I much rather like the idea of an editor-wrapper similar to vipw.

						-Matt