Date:      Wed, 04 Jan 1995 20:12:01 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Replicating system.

OK - picture the scene;

1) Working 2.x-current system (also in use as a "general hacking" system)
2) 2 SCSI disks (450MB total), 1 SCSI tape, 1 SCSI CDROM, 1 AH1542.
3) 1 Brand new 1GB SCSI disk  :) :) :)
4) No (more) money ;-)

Now - (thinks) How do I best copy the contents of the two disks to the
new SCSI? I have done this before by tar-ing to a tape and restoring,
but a file or 10 in /var/... got bust. Same for dump-ing to a tape.

I can take out the second drive (/usr/src), but still leaves the
problem of how to best get the live /var area over...
(I recall that one of the problem files was a socket(?) in
/var/run/printer= with mode srwxrwxrwx)

I would prefer not to re-install, as this would take a PILE of work
to get back to -current. I am reasonably sure that with some concentrated
hacking I could get it right, but maybe someone knows a clever trick?

If anyone has done this more than I (2x), or more cleverly than I (easy),
please let me know how you did it.

Thanks!
Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200