Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 09:59:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dd and cat - Did I miss something?

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> Personally, I think this change is a violation of POLA, as most Unices
> support cooked devices doing "the right thing." Not all of them did,
> so using them that way is a bad - albeit very common - habit that
> we're going to have to get over.

Thanks for the detailed information - now I really know why dd didn't want
to work the way I wanted it too. Actually, since I said dd worked for me
in the past without specifying a blocksize, this demonstrates how long
it's past that I have copied my last CD ;-)

From now on, I'll simply specify the bs=2048 (or forget to do that several
times and then wonder, once again, why it won't work), and everything'll
be fine.

Thanks again for the information!

Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org