Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 1996 09:57:08 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Basic 1542cf question

Barry Masterson wrote:

> This is a basic Adaptec 1542cf configuration question. The system
> hangs at boot time, so I haven't gotten to the FreeBSD part yet.
>
> I have a 486DX2/66 VLB system running FreeBSD 2.1.0. It has a
> Promise 2300+ (with on board bios disabled) connected to a
> single Quantum Fireball 1gig IDE drive.
>
> I'm trying to install a Adaptec 1542cf scsi card in one of the
> available five 16 bit slots. The only scsi device I have is a
> Archive Python external drive.
>
> The main problem here is, when booting, the system just hangs,
> (I'm booting with the python connected & powered up):
>
>  *   Post executes, 'American Megatrends', 'Hit DEL to enter setup'...
>  *   Red LED on 1542 flashes about 30 times (1 minute), LED light goes
>      out (probing finishes?)
>  *   Floppy light goes out
>  *   Hard drive makes a brief noise
>  *   System hangs at the same 'American Megatrends' screen.
>
> I'm unable to enter the cmos setup (hitting DEL won't work), nor
> can I enter the 'SCSIselect' program (never prompted for it).
>
> With switch 1 on the 1542 (sw1 - termination installed) facing towards
> the card, and sw2-8 away from the card, the system still hangs, but
> the screen is readable.
> With the default factory setting; all switches away from the card,
> the screen quickly goes fuzzy (like watching television with the
> vacuum cleaner running), and the system still hangs.
>
> So, here are my questions:
>
> 1) There is a block of 8 switches on the upper left hand corner
> of the 1542. All of the switches are set to the side which is
> AWAY from the card. Is this the ON(closed) or OFF(open) position?
>
> 2) Since I'm only using one device, can I switch off those other
> switches? Or still better, how should these switches be set?
>
> My floppy drive is connected to the promise 2300+. According to
> the sheet that came with the 1542, the floppy switch on the 1542
> should be disabled in this case.
> So, I've booted with the floppy switch; sw5, in both positions.
> No luck,  system hangs.
>
> The card is out now, or I wouldn't be able to write this letter.
> I'm new to scsi devices, so any advice will be appreciated.

Switches away from card are off.. RTFM Or the Switch..
It says right on the switch..

Try these settings.
SW:
	1=Off	(Depends on termination) (Off = Software)
	2=On	(IO Port 0x134) (Rarely used)
	3=Off	(IO Port)
	4=On	(IO Port)
	5=On	(Floppy disabled)
	6=Off	(Bios address) (DC000H) (Make sure nothing
	7=Off	(Bios address) else is using this address)
	8=Off	(Bios address)

You only have one device so the 1542CF needs software termination
for it's end of the chain.
That is SW1=Off.

SW2,3,4 = 0x134, Just a low address thats not used to often by others!

SW6,7,8 = Bios address.. This you'll need to know if anything else
is using. Alot of items use D8000h as thier default!
As you see I've suggested dC000h.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848