Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:41:00 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        dan@langille.org, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing via wireless

--3uo+9/B/ebqu+fSQ

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 08:29:57PM -0700, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> Dan Langille writes:
> | Some of you have have read about my install of FreeBSD over a=20
> | wireless NIC (http://www.freebsddiary.org/wireless-install.php).  Is th=
is=20
> | type of install something which is useful?
> |=20
> | I ask because I'm wondering if there's any work going on at the moment=
=20
> | in this area.  The only way I could get FreeBSD installed on my laptop=
=20
> | was via wireless.  And the only way I could do that was with a custom=
=20
> | mfsroot.flp.  Is there another way?  Have I missed something?  Should=
=20
> | what John Van Boxtel has done be taken further and incorporated into=20
> | FreeBSD?
>=20
> Eventually you should be able to this via ifconfig.  You might try
> a floppy from a -current snapshot server.

Other then a possiable issue where sysinstall doesn't know that wi and
an devices are network cards, you should be able to install from them in
-current by adding appropraite parameters to the field that lets you
specify arbitrary ifconfig options.  Unless you have a really wacked
network config ifconfig in current should have sufficent support.  I'm
not sure when this is going to hit stable (it shouldn't happen before PR
kern/27826 is commited.)

-- Brooks

--=20

--3uo+9/B/ebqu+fSQ