Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:15:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with installation

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Jeong Wahn Yoo wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I'm a newbie in the freebsd world. I've tried to install the freebsd 4.5 on a
> sony laptop fx370.
> After kernel configuration, I find that the system hangs after the message:
>   Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c
> I've used a CD from iso image i downloaded and tried to run freebsd and windows
> XP.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like you may have forgotten to set your freebsd partition as
bootable during install? Can you boot your other opsys? I don't use the
freebsd bootloader so I'm kinda guessing.

You may need to see the bootloader section of the Handbook, boot off your
CD and re-set your MBR:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/boot-blocks.html

Or very carefully run fdisk from the booted CD and make sure your BSD
partition is bootable. Be careful, fdisk is a highly efficient way to
erase your system :-)

Good luck - JB

|-John Bleichert----syborg@stny.rr.com----------------|
|-------------------http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg--|