Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 1996 17:23:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, souchu@firtech.lri.fr
Subject:   Re: EIDE 2300+ Promise

> > Because the FreeBSD bootblocks don't understand LBA ...
>
> The FreeBSD bootblocks do understand LBA, if the BIOS understands it.

No.  FreeBSD boot blocks are still limited to 24 bits of cylinders
because of the INT 13 interface, or 16 because of the ISA.

The INT13 redirection based LBA command translation (and potentially
geometry translation) is based on making the INT13 interface look
like LBA isn't there.

The problem is that the Promise controller in the subject line still
fails to work; this one is a reported vs. translate geometry problem
in the controller firmware.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---