Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2014 18:51:27 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org>, Matt Grice <matt@atarian.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Re: ACPI bug submission

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:07:51 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
 > On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Matt Grice <matt@atarian.co.uk> wrote:
 >
 > > Sorry, PEBKAC error, it appears I've been replying off-list.

Ah, I would have left it to Kevin had I known.  However this raises a
couple of interesting points .. cutting mercilessly ..

 > > hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
 > > Power saving Cx states are NOT enabled.

Which makes the cool temperatures you noted, Kevin, more amazing.

Matt, you might try adding to /etc/rc.conf:
  performance_cx_lowest=C3
  economy_cx_lowest=C3

 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 39.0C
 > > Thermal zone 0 is 39C. This is usually the CPU. 39C is VERY cool.

Yes it is, but see below ..

 > > Hopefully it i accurate.
 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
 > > ACPI is NOT throttling the CPU to control temperature
 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: 0
 > > ACPI is not increasing system cooling capability (usually the fan) to
 > > reduce temperature. NOTE: This does not mean non-ACPI controls are not used!

Actually, active cooling is the fan/s, and passive cooling is CPU speed
reduction and/or cycle throttling.

 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 95.0C
 > > At 95C, turn the cooling (fans) to maximum.

It's the passive (throttling) temperature that kicks in at 95C

 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 98.0C
 > > At 98C, throttlethe CPU to reduce temperature

And that's the critical temperature that should cause shutdown.

 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TC1: 0
 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TC2: 50
 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TSP: 0
 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.temperature: 39.0C
 > > Odd that tz0 and tz1 are both 39C. Seems unlikely. May be different CPU
 > > sensor or something else.

But see below ..

 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.active: -1
 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.passive_cooling: 0
 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.thermal_flags: 0
 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._PSV: -1
 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._HOT: -1
 > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._CRT: 98.0C
 > > At 98C, power down (if supported). This is different from the hardware
 > > shutdown on severe overtemp that simply kills power.

Right.  This zone just has _CRT, also 98C, no active or passive cooling.

[..]

 > > acpiconf -i 0
 > >
 > > [root@Raptor] /usr/ports/comms/wspr# acpiconf -i o
 > > Design capacity:       4400 mAh
 > > Last full capacity:     3757 mAh
 > > Battery is getting old and only will charge to 85% of it's design capacity.

It would be nice if it worked even that well, but ..

 > > Technology:             secondary (rechargeable)
 > > Design voltage:         11100 mV
 > > Capacity (warn):        185 mAh
 > > Capacity (low):         129 mAh
 > > Low/warn granularity:   56 mAh
 > > Warn/full granularity:  3572 mAh
 > > Model number: GRAPE32
 > > Serial number: 27
 > > Type: LION
 > > OEM info:               SANYO
 > > State:                  critical
 > > Your battery is dying!
 > > Remaining capacity:     0%
 > > OK. It's dead.

Or just isn't getting charged (though leaving it fully discharged for
long will kill it in the end anyway).  One of my Thinkpad T23s has a
broken charging circuit, not unknown on that model; it runs on AC but a)
won't charge any battery and b) dies on loss of AC power, even with a
charged battery .. perhaps similar to what's happened to this one?

 > > Remaining time:         unknown
 > > Present rate:           0 mA (0 mW)
 > > It's not discharging.

On AC power, present rate usually shows the charging rate until fully
charged, so it's clearly not charging at all.

 > > Present voltage:        7870 mV
 > > It is at 7.9 volts which is too low to run the system.
 > >
 > > Since the system appears to be on AC power, but the battery is not
 > > charging, something is wrong here. I have no idea what.
 > > It appears that either the charging system or the battery has
 > > failed.Neither involved the OS, but indicates a hardware issue with the
 > > device.

We concur.  Matt, you could maybe try this battery in another laptop if
you have access to one, or an external charger, ie the battery may still
be at least partially ok and only the charge circuit is broken (bummer!)
or OTOH the battery may be so stuffed that the charge circuit refuses to
try to charge it, but isn't broken as such - so a new battery may help.

 > > There are several ACPI variables I don't recognize or am simply not
 > > familiar with, but this will give you some               idea what many of
 > > the important ones are. Remember that ACPI is firmware and may have errors
 > > that result in its lying to the OS. I don't trust some of what I see,
 > > especially the temperature. Most laptops idle at between               50
 > > and 60C. Seeing two zones at 39C is very odd.

I'd have agreed with this before ~10 weeks ago, when my son bought me a
Thinkpad X200 from an auction site out of the blue - without battery or
charger, and with a dodgy serial number.  I took the punt - thanks to
encouragement by Lars - and bought it a new one of each, and it's a very
sweet little machine.  2.4GHz Core 2 Duo which also runs extraordinarily
cool.  Right now, idling, ambient temp. 26C after a warm autumn day:

smithi@x200:~ % x200stat
Tue Apr 22 18:03:22 EST 2014 dev.cpu.0.freq: 200
0.00% 0.49% 99.50% last 617us
0.00% 0.45% 99.54% last 524us
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_speed: 3393
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.thermal: 38 41 -1 38 32 -1 30 -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 38.0C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.temperature: 34.0C
State:                  high
Remaining capacity:     97%
Remaining time:         unknown
Present rate:           0 mW
Present voltage:        12448 mV

And now after about 6 minutes running dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/null on
each core, I can only manage to drive it up to:

Tue Apr 22 18:11:28 EST 2014 dev.cpu.0.freq: 2401
0.00% 0.50% 99.49% last 7us
0.01% 0.56% 99.42% last 2us
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_speed: 3376
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.thermal: 64 41 -1 57 32 -1 30 -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 64.0C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.temperature: 65.0C
State:                  high
Remaining capacity:     97%
Remaining time:         unknown
Present rate:           0 mW
Present voltage:        12448 mV
smithi@x200:~ % 10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
10485760000 bytes transferred in 328.271913 secs (31942300 bytes/sec)
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
10485760000 bytes transferred in 328.040868 secs (31964798 bytes/sec)

I recall seeing it get to almost 70C on one 33C day, but that's it.

And fortunately it does switch from X to VTs and back without issue on
9.2, so it must have "old-enough" graphics, for which I'm thankful.

cheers, Ian