Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:52:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      Wayne M Barnes <stabilizer@klentaq.com>
To:        mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net (Mikhail Teterin)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Stable)
Subject:   Re: ethernet hard or soft failure

Dear M I,

   When your cron job runs, everyone will be knocked off their
jobs, no?  Or is it harmless, and they just get a 1 sec. blip, without
their xterms or sessions dying?  How could I run your line
of commands only when the link is down?

   By the way, I should have pointed out that my cron job captured
a crash (see log at http://barnes1.wustl.edu/wayne/NMB):
> 303/320 mbufs in use:
>       244 mbufs allocated to data
>       59 mbufs allocated to packet headers
> 14/62/4096 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
> 164 Kbytes allocated to network (40% in use)
Tue Nov  9 12:45:00 CST 1999
LOCKUP OF INTERNET CONNECTON OCCURS -- REBOOT AT 12:47

   I was hoping the many mbufs in use was a clue, although the
available mbuf clusters do not seem to be near saturated.
15 minute time points are not very illuminating.

Wayne M Barnes      stabilizer@klentaq.com