Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:03:53 -0400
From:      Ted Burghart <ted@tedb.net>
To:        glewis@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: jdk-1.6.0.3p4_12

Hi,

I'd just like to point out that the comment in the Makefile for this
port about the space required to build it is quite inaccurate.  It says:

     IMPORTANT: To build the JDK 1.6.0 port, you should have at least
     2.5Gb of free disk space in the build area!

I have just built this port with debugging support but without the
browser plugin on FreeBSD 7.2-stable and it's peak observed usage was
nearly 5 GB in a fresh filesystem.  After re-labelling and newfs-ing
the /usr/obj filesystem at around 3 GB, then 4 GB, I was finally able
to build the port following a process essentially like this:

     # umount /usr/obj
     # newfs -Un -O 2 -b 16384 -f 2048 ... -o time /dev/stripe/obj
     # mount -o rw,noatime /dev/stripe/obj /usr/obj
     # df -h /usr/obj
     Filesystem           Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
     /dev/stripe/obj      8.7G    2.0K    8.0G     0%    /usr/obj

     # cd /usr/ports/java/jdk16
     # make config ... debug on, plugin off
     # make install

The build clearly does some cleanup along the way, with the space at
times dropping by hundreds of megabytes.  For obvious reasons, I
didn't monitor the size continually, but on the occasions I did the
highest I saw (at completion) was:

     # df -h /usr/obj
     Filesystem           Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
     /dev/stripe/obj      8.7G    4.9G    3.1G    61%    /usr/obj

Having worked on this on-and-off for three days before using a large
enough filesystem, it might be nice to future folks to revise the
comment accordingly.

As an aside, please don't consider this to be a complaint.  I know
that when I choose to build ports instead of using packages I do so at
my own risk, but I prefer to build my entire system optimized for the
machine it's running on.  My hat's off to you for getting this port to
work at all despite the absurd roadblocks Sun puts in the way!

Thanks,

   - Ted