Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2002 17:44:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Nielsen" <nielsen@memberwebs.com>
To:        "John Newlin" <jnewlin@tsoft.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: natd, ipfw, ipsec, upd  and ftp questions

You have to proxy your ftp connections. I know ipnat (the NAT that comes
with ipf) does this. I'm not sure about natd.... Actually after looking at
it, the option 'punch_fw' in natd seems to do just that. Take a look.

>   ftp does not work from the internal net, except in passive mode.  What
is the magik
>   required to make ftp work?

As long as you are connecting to others and not vice versa then keep-state
rules will do the trick even for UDP. No open ports needed.

>   I play games that open up upd connections.  I want to open up the
minimum number
>   of UPD sockets.  Is the proper thing to do to allow incoming UPD on the
>   portrange specified in:

I've always assumed this was safe. At least for ESP and AH. ESP is processed
by the kernel, and won't be processed unless it matches a proper SAD entry.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but suprious or malicious ESP packets
won't (or shouldn't provided there are no bugs) pose a security problem.

>   I have an IPSec client on my internal Windows machine that I use to
connect
>   to my office.  I added the following ruleset:
>
>    ipfw add allow esp from any to any
>    ipfw add allow gre from any to any
>    ipfw add allow ah  from any to any
>
> Is this safe, or is there a way to tighten that up?

Nate