Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2014 16:09:03 +0100
From:      Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+freebsd@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lang/ruby19 distfile not found (ruby-1.9.3-p484.tar.bz2)

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Unfortunately, the ports tree is not able to make any guarantees about
> usability on an IPv6 only system.  Which is pretty sad given that IPv6
> has been around for so many years and is so obviously the only feasible
> way forward given the exhaustion of the IPv4 address space.
>
> However, it used to be that you could get the distfiles from the cache
> on the IPv6 enabled ftp.freebsd.org, where they were stored for the
> benefit of the old package building systems.
>
> There has been a switch to the new package building setup behind
> pkg.freebsd.org.  Older style pkg_tools packages should still be being
> produced for the supported 8.x and 9.x systems where pkgng is not the
> default, but I believe the building system even for those has been
> extensively revised.  I'm not sure this still involves caching all the
> distfiles in the same way.  I could be wrong though.
>
> If you can't rely on ftp.freebsd.org then you'ld have to turn to the
> original master sites, and there's simply no way to find IPv6 enabled
> sites for all possible distfiles.

There is indeed a sizable share of ports without at least one IPv6
mirror site, although I'm pleasantly surprised that the majority
of ports that we use can now be fetched from an IPv6-only host.

We also run a couple of IPv6-only FreeBSD servers. My practice
so far has been to try to install/upgrade whatever is possibly
without any transition aids - just to be able to see what is
still missing. To fetch the rest I just point the http_proxy and
ftp_proxy env. vars to our dual-stacked squid proxy and repeat
the exercise for the remaining ports. A NAT64 would probably
do as well.

Having a policy that a port needs at least one mirror in each
protocol family would be very useful. A fallback mirror like
ftp.freebsd.org could fill-in this job.

  Mark