Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:20:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg@outblaze.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What does FreeBSD do when listen queue is full ?

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:

> > There used to be two listen queues; one for completed connections and one
> > for incomplete connections.  (Complete referring to the TCP three-way
> > handshake completing.)  The syncache replaces the incomplete connection
> > queue, meaning that the listen queue depth is no longer relevant there.
>
> What is the maximum size of the queue for completed connections ? Is
> there a sysctl setting for this

The listen backlog parameter should determine this.

> > The listen manpage looks to be pretty accurate in its description.
>
> What about the statement
>
> 'or,if the underlying protocol supports retransmission, the request may
> be ignored so that retries may succeed'
>
> What does 'underlying protocol' refer to then since you are saying that
> even with TCP which supports retransmission, the stack sends a RST when
> the listen queue is full
>
> Regards, Yusuf
>
> --
> Yusuf Goolamabbas

That statement makes sense to me if the incomplete connection queue is
being referred to.  (Although that would be incorrect wrt the default
behavior in 4.4, and the syncache isn't a queue.)  Maybe I can word that
better when I go through and make sure all the comments in the source are
up to date.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack