Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2011 10:33:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Mark Powell" <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing all ZFS support from boot process

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> This is before the kernel boots, correct?

Yep.

> Can you take a picture of where it hangs? (you will have to host it
> somewhere though, as the list will reject non text attachments).

Here you go:

http://galatea.salford.ac.uk/aix502/11022011448.jpg
http://galatea.salford.ac.uk/aix502/11022011449.jpg

   The spinning char can seemingly be in any position when it crashes. It
took 5 attempts that time to get to the beastie menu.

> I suspect it's in the loader and quite possibly it's your BIOS that is
> at fault, or at the very least there is a nasty interaction with it.
>
> Is there an update for the BIOS? Does this happen on other hardware?

   I suspected BIOS, that's why I was going to get a new motherboard. I've
always had problems getting gptzfsboot working on this hardware and there
are no more BIOS updates now. That's why I have ufs root, as it only
worked intermitantly.
   Then I wondered what the hell was going on in the loader that took >60s
and seemingly touched every drive. I assumed it was FBSD that was tasting
all the drives.
   Cheers.

--
Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
IT Services, Clifford Whitworth Building, Salford University, Manchester, M5 4WT, UK.