Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:01:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
To:        Lupe Christoph <lupe@lupe-christoph.de>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Administrivia: Discussion - Making this list subscriber-only

It probably wouldn't be workable but, if with subscribers only turned on,
if folks first post could be held for moderation a lot of the off topic,
out of charter stuff could be redirected or stopped. After the first on
topic message they could be taken off moderation. Stops the hit and run
stuff. Means a lot of extra work for the list admin though.

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Lupe Christoph wrote:

> I think that just one general questions list is too little. I was

This is a problem that a lot of large projects have. One general question
list is created and it rapidly becomes an unwieldy mess. Ever looked at
the general PHP list? Its awful. Just way to much traffic to be of use.

I'm subscribed to an HP-UX admin list that has almost the opposite
problem. By design or happenstance the list consists of questions and
summary responses. Practically no discussion on list - which I find a bit
uncomfortable - lose that community, synergy kind of thing - often times
pick up bits of info in the discussions that I wouldn't normally know.

It would be nice if core would be amenable to creating, say:

freebsd-questions-security
freebsd-questions-hardware
freebsd-questions-installation
freebsd-questions-administration
freebsd-questions-networking

And whatever other high volume questions keep coming up. Benefits everyone
in the long run, people can follow and try to help out where they are most
comfortable, people who need something answered and are actually paying
attention will be able to go where they will most likely find what they
need. Of course the general question list will stay a mess. The other
problem is that a lot of questions will span categories. "How do I get
natd to do x" could fit in three or four of the categories I suggested
above.

Strangely the freebsd-newbies list seems to get relatively low traffic.
Which is a pity, would be a good venue for folks coming up to speed.
Must be  some kind of stigma attached to "newbie" that keeps people away.