Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 00:55:58 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Simon H <simon.hamilton@ntlworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NTL Cable Modem and DHCP

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 06:45:09PM +0100, Simon H wrote:
> I have rebooted the Cable modem to ensure that it works with the MAC
> address, but when I reboot FreeBSD it doesn't get the DHCP details from my
> ISP.

Have you had the modem working on a different MAC?  If you have, you'll
probably need to let any DHCP leases to that MAC expire before NTL's DHCP
servers will talk to the new MAC.  This seems to be necessary even if
you've correctly released the old lease and rebooted the modem.  No, I
don't know why they have it configured that way either.  Just NTL for you
:-(

In your /etc/rc.conf you want:

	hostname="whatever.name.you.like"
	ifconfig_<inside>="inet 10.0.0.10"
	ifconfig_<outside>="DHCP"

where <inside> and <outside> are the names of the internal and external
Ethernet interfaces, respectively.  It might help if 10.0.0.10 is mapped
(in /etc/hosts, or a local DNS server) to your chosen hostname, but that's
not essential.

/etc/dhclient.conf can be empty, unless you're running an internal DNS
server, in which case you might want to use:

	interface "<outside>" {
    	supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
	}

and have your local server forward queries to NTL's servers.  Probably best
to set that up once you have the basic setup working, though.  The default
(empty) setup should put the right DNS server addresses in /etc/resolv.conf
for you.

Do you have a firewall running (compiled into the kernel or loaded from a
module)?  You might accidentally be blocking DHCP traffic on the outside
interface.  I'd recommend setting firewall_type="open" until you know
everything is working, then moving to a more restrictive set of rules.
Take a look at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips.html

to find out what traffic you need to let through the firewall.  I'm happy
to send you the relevant bits of my firewall ruleset once you have things
working.

HTH,

	Scott