Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 1996 09:33:50 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MFS, floppies,and sound cards (oh, my!)

Couple of quick questions that I figured I'd batch to save some bandwidth.

Firstly, I have been tinkering around with the concept of boot floppies.
I'm almost 100% happy with what I have, with one exception. When I run
a "full version" from a hard disk, I can create a MFS disk using
mount_mfs -s <insert size here> /dev/wd0s1b /mnt (as the documentation
says it should work).
However, the problem comes wherein the boot floppy that I'm working
on has no swap. Doing something like
mount_mfs -s <insert size here> /dev/fd0b /mnt   doesn't work, usually
claiming that /dev/fd0b either doesn't exist (if I give it a different
minor number than fd0a), or that its already in use (if it has the
same minor number as fd0a). If I pull up the disklabel,the three
partitions (a,b,c - which all take up the whole disk) are considered
"unused".

So, the question is, since I have a machine with 8-16MB of RAM that will
never use it all (since I'm booting off a floppy and running one small
application), how could I go about creating an MFS filesystem
of n megabytes that I could use to store some temporary files without
filling up the floppy?

Also, I've seen some recent chatter about  a Mozart sound card that has
to go through some special initialization (which appears (according to
Jordan) to be undocumented). I own a Reveal SC400 sound card that also
appears to have to run an initialization program to get up
and going. Is this card supported (does anyone know?), or should I go
about figuring out what it is so I can do it myself?

Thanks, as always.
	-Brian