Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:56:24 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Steve Barkey" <sbarkey@alexin.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Installing and Ideas

At 5:22 PM -0500 3/25/02, Steve Barkey wrote:
>I hate to be a pain in the ass, but here I go:  I basically
>don't understand most of those instructions.

You might want to check out the install instructions off
of:
   http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/

Read down under the CURRENT (5.0-current) section, and you'll
see a line called Installation notes, with links to some notes
for sparc64.  Those notes are not complete, but they'll give
you a bit more background to get going.

><device> (presumably meaning my harddrive) isn't in /dev, not
>in any recognizable form anyway.

For instance, the section on "Creating a disk label" drops the
hint that the device would be 'ad0' for the first ATA disk.
The exact name of the device depends on the type of controller
which is driving it.  You might be able to figure that out by
looking at the startup messages as they go by, or by doing a
'dmesg | more' after you are booted up off the CD.  The thing
is, you have to be able to figure out it from the dmesg's.  The
freebsd/sparc project isn't quite far enough along to have a
lot of documentation for sparc novices.

You might also check the earlier thread in this mailing list
which had the subject of
      Subject: Re: DP1 release candidate 1

One of my messages to that thread included the list of steps
that I took to install freebsd-sparc on my Ultra-10.  Note
that while those steps worked great for me, you may have to
do different steps depending on your hardware and how you
intend to run it.

There was also a thread:
      Subject: FreeBSD/sparc64 install document active in -CURRENT

which might be useful.  (in fact, I'm not sure why my article
is in the release-candidate thread, it makes more sense to be
the install-document thread).