Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 2003 06:40:35 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.8-Release disk3 and disk4

On 2003-Apr-08 15:33:44 -0400, Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com> wrote:
>> The simple explanation is that this is all the FreeBSD project itself
>> creates.  The ports packages that filled up CD's 2, 3 and 4 are no
>> longer part of the "official" FreeBSD -RELEASE image.
>
>And how much of that will relate to the fact that it now runs
>on iNTEL, Alpha, and PC98 architectures.  I remember when I had
>NeXTStep we had quad-fat disks to support all architectures.
>I can see this could cause ports problems as some have binary
>pieces in them.

Apart from FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE (which had an Alpha install on disk 2),
the different architectures have different -RELEASE ISOs.  This
avoids the problem of trying to build CDs that have binaries for
different architectures.

Obviously supporting all the different architectures increases the
-RELEASE effort and provides more incentive to only have one space
constrained ISO instead of 4.  (There's no real space constraint on
the live filesystem disk).

Peter