Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 2015 13:39:57 -0500
From:      Bigby James <bigby.james@dimthoughts.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why does FreeBSD insist on https?

On 04/03, Dieter BSD wrote:
>> Any browser which does not support HTTPS is either obsolete or simply
>> missing critical functionality.

> Ya, ya, kids today consider anything more than 5ns old obsolete.
> Doesn't make it so.
>
> I have tried a LOT of browsers and they ALL lack important functionality.
> Most were so broken they were completely unusable.  I've fixed bug
> in browsers and made enhancements to them.  Had to fix well over
> 1000 bugs in one browser before I managed to get it to compile.

I noticed you've (perhaps mistakenly) omitted mention of what browser you happen
to be using and what pages you're trying to access, while simultaneously
pointing the finger at other browsers for lacking "important" functionality.
What "other browsers" lack doesn't really matter, nor does the work you've done on
other browsers in the past, nor for that matter does what you personally
consider "important functionality." What matters is what browser you're using,
and why it (for whatever reason) can't access these FreeBSD-related pages.

On a lark, I went ahead and installed Firefox, Chromium, Dillo, VimB, Luakit,
UZBL, surf, SeaMonkey, Conkeror, w3m and lynx. Every one of them is able to
access https://www.freebsd.org without any problem, with the exceptions of UZBL
and lynx, which each complain about SSL/TLS issues (which can in turn be
circumvented in their respective configurations). Without stating what browser
you're using, what version it's at, and what pages you're trying to acces one is
left to wonder why the FreeBSD site maintainers should be expected to change
their site structure simply to accomodate what could very well be user error or
oversight, or a single piece of poorly functioning software. Proper resolution
of the issue (whatever it may actually be) counts on cooperation, not
beligerence.

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams