Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:50:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        anthony@atkielski.com, setantae@submonkey.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-processor Support

setantae wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 08:35:47PM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> > m p writes:
> >
> > > What is your experience with FreeBSD?
> > > Beginner? Ok.
> >
> > All kernels are the same in this respect.  That's why they are called
kernels.
> > Mess up the kernel, and the system won't run, by definition.

Yes, you are right here. But IF you mess up (because you did not read the
instructions carefully enough) you have TWO kernels to reboot, undo your
changes and reboot a second time (like others mentioned before) being at the
old level.
Normally with a -RELEASE (that is what you are using) you can compile and
stress test your hardware all day with different kernels - and they will work.

> But it is safe to say that you are a beginner with FreeBSD, no ?
> >
> > > Have you recompiled your kernel yet?
> >
> > Yes, I recompiled it this afternoon in order to disable Ctrl-Alt-Del.
>
> Were you scared ?
> Recompiling the kernel is really nothing to be worried about.
> I honestly don't see it a bigger problem than installing a port.
>
> > > Do you know _why_ most of the FreeBSD people
> > > use customized kernels?
> >
> > Because much of what they want to do apparently cannot be enabled by simple
> > configuration switches at run-time (such as the change I desired above).
>
> Like installing hardware ?
>
> If there's a way to disable ctrl-alt-delete with recompiling the kernel,
> then you'd probably find that there was a way to turn it back on...
>
> > > Why do you speak up about a topic in an OS you
> > > don't know much about?
> >
> > I know quite a bit about operating systems.
>
> But you don't know all that much about FreeBSD, which was the question.

I would go one step further: You have experience with Multics as you told us
and with a bundle of Microsoft Windows versions. What else? Ever used another
Unix flavor before? No? But you know about the things behind.
(I for my part has used Novell since 2.1, SCO Unixware, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX,
IRIX, NT since 3.51, VMS, OS/2 since 2.x, Linux, FreeBSD, working on a S/390.
All systems were production systems for small or bigger companies with me as
administrator.)
I say I know nearly nothing about operating systems. I have never build one
myself. Haven't been full there is the same as being not there.

> > > _Where_ is the problem?
> >
> > You know it when you see it, usually when you have to jump out of bed and
rush
> > down to the computer center at 3 AM.  Been there, done that, no desire to
do it
> > again.

Been there and done it too. (One time it was a Linux kernel crashing saturday
morning, because i left the machine fresh compiled and with now new config some
hours before to go to a party, changed config, gone to bed, slept well. Can do
it again, party was good. The other times done a reinstall of Windows NT. More
then once. Not slept well. No desire to do it again.)

> If you recompile kernels from your bed then yes, you are probably asking
> for trouble.

If you have console access via a terminal server in bed: No. *grin*

> > > This is considered a normal and not risky task
> > > with FreeBSD.
> >
> > If it is just changing a configuration option, the risk probably isn't too
> > great.  But sometimes you don't really know until the system crashes.  And,
> > sorry, but FreeBSD is not magically immune to this; no operating system is.
>
> ...and recompiling your kernel doesn't make it any less immune.
>
> Ceri

I think we told him all what we can say without insulting him (to much).

I will be quite again and answer only to technical stuff again.

Don't feed ....

Marc