Date:      Mon, 07 Sep 1998 18:17:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Dr R D Gidden <rdg@theleys.cambs.sch.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Invalid master.passwd file

******
(NOTE this is not my usual freebsd-questions address
please would you CC any reply to the address below
as well as to the list. Thanks!)
******

I've done something stupid while running adduser
which has left /etc/master.passwd looking like
/etc/passwd, ie with a single * in the password field
instead of the encrypted gobbledegook.

The system still requires the correct passwords
for users to logon, so I suppose the hashed .db
files are still OK, but I get

pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry
pwd_mkdb: at line #1
pwd_mkdb: /etc/master.passwd: Inappropriate file type or format

[the 'line 1' presumably refers to the entry for root whic
is also just one asterisk]

vipw runs, but merely shows the single asterisk lines. I
have not tried to edit it with vipw yet.

I have over 700 users in this file (AARGH!): is it possible
to work back from the .db file(s)?  My backup was just
*before* a whole slew of new users were added :-((

Thanks for any help!

Bob.

--
rdg@theleys.cambs.sch.uk