Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:03:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dfr@render.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, tony@fit.qut.edu.au, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS Diskless Dispare...

> > > I think the worst races would be between VOP_READ or VOP_WRITE and vclean.
> > > I think that you could cause real damage with one of those :-).
> >
> > I had a vclean patch to deal with the "free vnode isn't" error a long
> > time ago... it was a serious kludge, IMO, since it fixed the symptom
> > instead of the problem (which is that vclean is a bad idea).  I think
> > the patch would also save us from the race conditions as well.  Are you
> > maybe thinking of client side nfsnodes?
>
> I was thinking of an NFS client race where a process could be sleeping in
> NFS waiting for an rpc reply and vclean could cut in and start tearing
> thing up.  If vclean manages to sleep part way through, then interesting
> things could start to happen...

I think they would have differnt PID's.  Are you concerned about the
(vp->v_flag & VXLOCK) == 0 or the !VOP_LOCK() case?

The kernel is not currently reeentrant, and I think any underlying
FS from an export will cause the block on the server.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.