Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 23:07:32 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   A clarification of "freefall.cdrom.com" vs "freebsd.cdrom.com"

I was actually surprised to see a few early bug reports for
2.0-950408-SNAP - the snap-that-wasn't.  Surprised because the
snapshot never made it onto freebsd.cdrom.com, and I didn't expect
that people would consider *anything* on freefall to be release
material.  Well, just to make that plain, anything you find on
freefall.cdrom.com is a complete jumble of random body parts and at no
time anything guaranteed to resemble an actual "release".  If you see
snapshots there sometimes it's because I'm testing them and nothing
more.

I don't actually announce snapshots officially until they're copied to
freebsd.cdrom.com, alias wcarchive.cdrom.com, alias ftp.freebsd.org. *grin*
The arrival of a new snapshot or release is also typically heralded by
an announcement in your mailbox ("Hi all!  A new snapshot is born,
here are its features, blah blah.." - we all know the drill :-).

So though some of you may have seen "2.0-950408-SNAP", it never really
lived and would not have been declared legally alive until it hit
ftp.freebsd.org.  I'm not so anal that I'm going to do all my work
behind closed doors just for the hell of it, and if some of you
intrepid explorers are bold enough to dash in and grab a snap before
it's ripe, well, I won't try to stop you - I'll ask you to tell me how
it works for you, instead! :-) I still nonetheless thought I'd better
warn those who were perhaps being intrepid explorers inadvertantly and
clarify the difference.

						Jordan