Date:      Sun, 11 May 2003 23:47:24 -0400
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>
To:        Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: smp in 5.0

SMP has been available since 3.x if I remember correctly. The
difference with 5.x is that they are pushing all locks on kernel data
structures down into the kernel as far as possible. Right now in 4.x,
there's just 1 lock, and it's around the entire kernel, so only one cpu
can run the kernel at any 1 time. 5.x will allow different parts of the
kernel to run on different cpu's.

Ken