Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 05:28:07 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        bcohen@bpecreative.com, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Firewall vs. Black Ice

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> However, if your not willing to invest the time into either, then
> you should look at paying someone who has the experience to do this
> for you.  One advantage of using FreeBSD is that the FreeBSD server
> CAN be remotely administered.  You could, for example, set up your
> FreeBSD system then get a FreeBSD consultant to ssh into your server
> and set a really tight access list for you.

But that's just it, isn't it. A cost-benefit analysis. I.e. how much
will it cost to detect and restore a cracked site versus the cost
to make it a tad bit more harder to crack the site.

Personally I'ld rather err on the safe side, but MicroSoft has shown
by its continued existence that the world thinks otherwise. IOW MS
grocks the world, sad as it may be.

The last statement you made, however, is I think unbeatable by
whatever PC/Anywhere gadget out there. Remote administration is
not where NT++**?? shines.

Roelof