Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 00:04:09 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        ym g <ymg@graffiti.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging firewall

[Please put in newlines at about 72 columns or so. Each of your
paragraphs is on one line.]

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 01:43:35AM +0800, ym g wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to setup a bridging firewall and have some questions.
>
> In a bridge, it doesn't seem neccasary to configure any IP's for the 2 interfaces. However, I would like to remotely manage my bridging firewall. If so, does the interface attached to the Internet [router] need the same address as the router or just another address from my segment. I think its the later but my bridging fundamentals are hazy :-(

Give the machine a unique IP address on your network. It really
doesn't matter which interface gets the address, but for asthetic
reasons, I'd put it on the "outer" interface.

> Would doing so allow me to telnet/ssh into the bridging firewall box or do I need another interface to get in and leave the original 2 interfaces unconfigured

No, just assign an IP to one interface.

> Also, if I have two different leased lines [different blocks], can I use a 4 port NIC like a D-LINK DFE 570 to setup a single machine as a bridging firewall for both networks [using different rulesets]

Well, now it sounds like you would need to be doing routing since I
doubt different lines will be coming in on the same logical
network. I wouldn't try to do routing and bridging on one box.
--
Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.com