Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:56:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      ton80 <meller1@nc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Hangs

Warren Block wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008, ton80 wrote:
>
>> I am trying to install FreeBSD.
>> During the install (actually at the beginning of the process) the system
>> hangs indefinitely.
>> When it gets to the select country screen...it is frozen.
>> During the boot process, as it is reading all the hardware, it finds the
>> USB
>> controller OK then later it states there was an IO error and that the USB
>> controller is halted. I have a USB Keyboard and mouse...so I would say
>> the
>> problem is here.
>> Is there any workaround I can use to get things going?
>
> Set "USB Legacy Support" to disabled in the BIOS.  If that isn't
> available, it might work to boot with the keyboard detached.  Connect it
> after the BIOS boot, at the FreeBSD bootloader prompt or maybe at the
> country select screen.
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

I checked the bios....no where does it address USB Legacy Support....only
options are to turn on or off support for the USB controller.

My system is a Dell E310 (a few years old).  Motherboard is an Intel....not
sure of the model.

I am currently running Linux (CentOS) with no problems.  I have ran many
other Linux distros with no problems.

I am going to attempt to try to boot up and plug in keyboard after
initialization...without mouse.

see ya on the other side.

ton80