Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 03:35:19 +0100
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iamexwi.unibe.ch>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting colorized output from ls

On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 12:57:59AM +0100, Ernst de Haan wrote:

> After setting the variable CLICOLORS in my environment, ls now gives me
> colored output, but I can't get it to print high-constrast colors. I tried
> `man ls', but I don't can't find any information about this. I remember that
> Leenucks used to have this a few years ago.

I was just working on that myself: Here's what I did:

 - install /usr/ports/misc/gnuls
 - put alias ls="gnuls --color=always" in ~/.profile or ~/.cshrc
 - tweak the color settings:
     man dircolors
     dircolors

Works like a charm.

Also check out this site for a colored prompt and a more detailed list of color combinations:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=723876+0+archive/1998/freebsd-questions/19980802.freebsd-questions

Have fun, Tobe