Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 2010 22:17:46 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Garry" <tbcrew@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is this bunk.

On Aug 22, 2010, at 7:25 PM, Garry wrote:

> This is a conversation held on a UK group page, can you confirm or =
deny this
> as twaddle.
>=20
> Mac OS X is basically BSD that's been appleised (serious vendor =
lock-in),
> they do give a little back to BSDs, but have made sure that BSDs can't =
get
> much off of them, but they can get a lot out of BSD.

Apple hired a lot of key people from the FreeBSD project. I don't know =
just what comes back to FreeBSD out of Apple but suspect the reason you =
and myself don't know is that Apple doesn't care to toot their own horn. =
Apple made a significant contribution a while back testing and improving =
NFS.

As for how much of MacOS X is BSD, pretty much all of the command line =
stuff. Apple has gone to great lengths to XML-ize most everything so =
while MacOS is BSD, its probably the most distant BSD cousin.

> Also, Windows uses  (or used to use) a BSD stack for networking for
> instance.

NT 3.51 used to flash a Berkeley Software Distribution copyright message =
on the text console during boot because some code was used. Doubt MS =
could leave well enough alone to simply lift the entire stack. The =
VMS-inspired NT kernel was probably not organized in such a way as to =
optimally use an unmodified BSD network protocol stack.

> So, in supporting/using BDS i would enevatibaly end up writing code =
for it,
> or filing bugs or whatever.
> (I have assisted with a few Linux drivers and written kernel patches, =
as
> well as working on things like DirectX 3D 9 for Wine and work on KDE =
etc...)
>=20
> Having seen how BDS license software has been used, to create highly =
tied
> in, almost crippled proprietary software, I do not feel that I can =
support
> software developed under such licenses.

So why are you here? Trolling?

It bugs the heck out of some people when others manage to build on their =
work to make something better, and then not give it away to everyone =
else. Others realize that if what we do is truly useful then others will =
want to use it to build bigger and better things. That it doesn't matter =
if we sell our work or give it away, what others do with it is no skin =
off our noses. Our original work is still exactly as accessible as it =
was before others made something more of their own version of it.

> Web-Kit has actually worked quite well as an open system, even though =
Apple
> done a hostile take over of the project from KHTML in KDE.
> So, the GPL has worked to produce an open product in Web-kit but the =
BSD
> license has lead to vendor lock-in on the part of Microsoft and most
> significantly Apple.

Thats one of the big problems of the GPL-mindset. Seems they spend a =
whole lot more time cloning the work of others than in actually creating =
anything new.

> This does not mean to say that I have a problem with the quality of =
the code
> in BSD, I just feel that the license is counter productive.

There is nothing in the BSD license permitting a "hostile takeover." =
Some would claim FreeBSD has executed a "hostile takeover" of what it is =
to be BSD. The pre-FreeBSD code is out there, you are welcome to it. =
Some would say OpenBSD attempted a hostile takeover of BSD.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D