Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 19:09:32 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        robert@kudra.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: base64

> The base system has expanded.  DHCP is one recent example.
> In the modern world, a system without DHCP is much less generally
> useful than one with DHCP.  MIME should be another functional
> adaptation to the modern environment.

I disagree completely.  DHCP is necessary for running the machine, email
is not necessary, which is why sendmail is easily disabled and/or
removed.

Finally, there is *NO* way to distribute a standard MIME client that
will not add bloat.  I use XEmacs + VM, alot of people use Pine, others
use ELM, others mush, others who knows what.

None of them are 'best' to be shipped with FreeBSD.

A mail client is exactly like an editor or shell.  There is no 'correct'
answer, so by shipping the simplest (smallest) version out there, then
the user is allowed to choose whatever version they like.

This *IS* the unix way, and any attempts to make FreeBSD into Linux and
it's 'all things to all people' will validly be met with resistence.

M$ is taking it in the shorts for doing such a thing, and people are
moving to FreeBSD because it tries to have the base system work well.

> : This is the path that has made linux such a mess.  There is _no_way_
> : that FreeBSD could even include a mail reader that would make most
> : people happy.
>
> Nor should it try!  I'm not arguing for making people happy.  I'm
> arguing for going the minimum lawful speed on the freeway.

MIME attachments are *NOT* the standard form of email used on the
internet.  As a matter of fact, I would venture to guess that 99% of the
email traffic on the internet does not contain MIME attachments.  Many
ISP's are now refusing to accept MIME attachments due to the spreading
of virus's and SPAM.

Nate