Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:27:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA66 cable being ignored?

Steve Coles wrote:

	> "ad1: <Maxtor 91008D7/WAS82739> ATA-4 disk at ata0 as slave"
	> Are you sure the Maxtor is UDMA-66?  Isn't "ATA-4" UDMA-33?

Very good point.  In fact, this Maxtor disk is at least a year old --
truly ancient by modern standards :-} -- so I'm pretty sure it's not
UDMA66.  As I recall, the interface cable that originally came in the
box with this particular drive was an older, 40-wire cable.

So, until such time as I can rearrange my hardware -- either by upgrad-
ing the old Maxtor to a newer drive, or else by freeing up a spot for
the older drive on the secondary ATA controller -- I guess I'll just
have to endure slower disk throughput.  I suppose I'll somehow manage
to survive. :-}

This brings up another question, though.  Is there any way to redo the
kernel's device probe output so it doesn't try to blame the cable in
cases like this?  For example, if an ATA controller has two devices,
and one is ATA-5 (or better?) but the other is not, then ata-dma.c
could say something like "can't do UDMA66 with fast/slow device mix".

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/